Twice-Baked Peanut Tahini Sweet Potatoes – 2021 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2021 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For Nomadland, it’s NomadYam!
It’s a Spring Garden Party theme in honor of the late April Academy Awards. I’ve enjoyed creating a “set it and forget it” menu, just like you do at an outdoor soiré. Here’s our first side dish!
Nomadland felt like a European movie. There’s not a typical “beginning-middle-end” to it. It’s like we’re let into a bit of Fern’s world and as it slowly unfolds, we see why she’s made her choices and what she finds wonderful in this nomadic life.
I’ve watched it twice. The second time was better than the first… picking up on little things I missed before. But the one thing you can never miss is another incredible performance by Frances McDormand. This woman can’t help herself. She’s wonderful in everything.
Only a wonderful dish would do for this movie. It wasn’t easy, but I was umm… driven. The only food references were fast food restaurants, some chili, soup, and peanut butter sandwiches. I settled on the PB.
Clearly, the yam idea made sense, although to be honest, yams are not what we think they are. The US almost exclusively has sweet potatoes, although we use the word “yam” interchangeably. Ohhhhh details… I was going with it! 🙂 The name of her beloved dish set and the Thanksgiving celebration made this even more right to honor this movie.
I got the tahini idea from my friend Andy Luke (who was everything for our next side dish) and thought, if I can use peanut butter and make it elegant, then this is a winner. As you can guess, it’s a winner! Hahahaha!
Originally I thought I’d do a stuffed skin with other things and finish it with the peanut tahini sauce but thought better of it – too much stuff when a more simple approach is the more flavorful one. So it was off to a land of twice-baked perfection! But it needed a finish… a bit of a crunch. Leave it to Joe Becwar to suggest the crumbled peanuts! It makes the whole dish!
I am usually thrilled with a plain baked sweet potato but it’s the perfect vehicle (ahem) for such a delectable fancied up version! Ha! Twice baked for me!!
Twice-Baked Peanut Tahini Sweet Potatoes
- Baking pan
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
- 2 sweet potatoes, medium, washed
- 3 tbsp sesame tahini
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, creamy
- 1-1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 4-5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place sweet potatoes on baking pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until soft. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Whisk tahini, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, lime juice, garlic, and ginger in a bowl. Add water a little at a time to achieve your preferred consistency.
- Slice potatoes in half long-wise and scoop out potato into medium bowl, leaving about 1/2" potato layer. Set skins aside.
- Add butter, then sauce a bit at a time to potatoes, reserving about 2 tsp to brush over the tops. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture back into the potato skins, brush tops with sauce, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve.