Bourbon Marinated Flank Steak – 2021 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2021 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For Mank, it’s Flank!
This year’s theme is my version of a Spring Garden Party in honor of the Academy Awards being held so late in April. “Set it and forget it” dishes makes Oscar night so much more fun. Let me introduce you to this year’s main course!
Mank was a fun homage to the style of speaking and film-making of the 1930’s. A great film telling the story of what led to the making of one of the greatest films of all time, Citizen Kane! ROSEBUD!!!! 🙂 But wait… am I alone in now aligning that name with Schitt’s Creek? Ahhh but I digress.
Most years I already have an idea of where I’ll go with the menu from the second the nominations are announced. One movie will leap forward as a dish. But this year I was post-COVID and still in brain fog so not only did I miss the actual announcement, but when I saw the movies chosen, I drew a complete blank. COMPLETE! As usual, I tossed out the net asking for suggestions and that’s when my wonderful friend, Laura Singer, snapped back, “Flank – flank steak”! SLAM DUNK!!! It set the tone for the whole meal.
Now it got funnier – or at least it did for me. I watched Mank after knowing this was the dish. My joke about it was Mank had a lot AT STEAK/stake to get the script done on time. To my surprise, when he meets Marion Davies, she is atop a pyre – ummmm… to be burned at the STAKE/STEAK and his line to her is “What’s at stake here?” That slayed me.
I also knew it was going to have to be another boozy marinade since he was quite the boozehound. Nothing short of bourbon would do. And can it be… another fabulous ziplock bag easy recipe that can be outdoor grilled or indoor broiled in just a few minutes? You betcha!
The flavor is rich and the meat is tender. You just can’t go wrong with this!
Bourbon Marinated Flank Steak
- Broiler Pan
- Ziplock bag
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 - 2 lb flank steak, trimmed, room temperature
- Whisk bourbon, oil, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in ziplock bag.
- Add meat and coat well. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours. Discard marinade. Let meat come to room temperature.
- Set oven rack to about 5-6" from the heat and turn broiler on high. Preheat foil-covered broiler pan for 5 minutes before adding the meat. Broil for 3-4 minutes, then turn and cook an additional 4-5 minutes for medium.
- Remove from oven, cover, and let rest about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips against the grain. Serve.