Strawberry Shortcake – 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
I saw Marriage Story at the Woodstock Film Festival and really liked it. It harkens to your worst break-up memories. You feel for both sides… the frustration of each party. The cast is renowned and wonderful. It felt real. That’s high praise.
As with the complete maceration of a marriage, so goes the strawberries used in this shortcake dessert. A shortcake is rich and dense, like the perceptions of people on opposite sides of the same situation. At the end of the turmoil, you’re hopefully left with a messy yet lovely outcome to move forward with… again like this treat!
Many thanks to Stefanie Sanabria for this perfect suggestion. It’s a British staple that is rarely done right due to the wrong biscuit choice. But when it’s right, like relationships, you’ll commit to make it again and again.
- • 1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered
- • 3 tbsp sugar
- • 3 cups flour
- • 1/4 cup sugar
- • 2 tbsp baking powder
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- • 1-1/3 cups + 2 tbsp heavy cream, cold
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1 qt heavy cream, whipped, to finish
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Mix until It’s crumbly in texture. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir 1-1/3 cups heavy cream and vanilla. Pour over the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it until it is fully incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Form dough into a circle about 1” thick and cut into 3” rounds using a biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet about 2” apart and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Mix strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices are released, at least 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove from refrigerator and brush biscuit tops with heavy cream. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool.
- To assemble the shortcakes, cut the biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon some of the strawberries over the bottom of the biscuit and add a dollop of whipped cream. Top with the other biscuit half. Top with whipped cream and a flayed strawberry. Serve immediately.