The Perfect END for a Perfect Meal – Pot Roast with Onions!
It was a cool, sunny, and delicious Autumn day today. It was the kind of day that begged for a comfort food kind of dinner. As it happens to be Thursday, I thought I’d do a “throw back” to one of the first videos I ever did as well as share a recipe from my book, KitchAnnette Red Carpet Menus.
It was back in 2000 that the movie American Beauty was nominated for Oscar® Best Picture. One dish that screams American dinner to me is pot roast. Aha! American Beauty became American Booty! RUMP roast. Ha! If you don’t already have a copy of the book, I hope you get one. More humor AND more delish dishes.
And so the perfect end to this day would be to make the perfect END – a RUMP roast, my pot roast.
This was one of the first cooking videos I ever did. The always debonair Joe Becwar held my hand through many of the first videos and dishes. I’ve come a long way since then (as has the equipment to make a video), although there’s something to be said for a longer form video that talks you through every step. Hmmmm….
But I digress. Make this delicious and easy pot roast dinner. I’ve had many a pot roast with carrots and potatoes but I prefer the onions. They add such a richness to the whole dish that elevate the flavor.
The Perfect END for a Perfect Meal - Pot Roast with Onions!
- • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- • 3 lbs bottom round/rump roast
- • 2 onions quartered & sliced
- • 2 cups beef bouillon/broth/stock
- • salt & pepper to taste
- • 1 lb egg noodles
- In a deep pot on low heat, add a couple of drizzles of olive oil.
- Add meat "fat side" down. With heat raised to medium, sear on all sides — remove from pot. Set aside.
- Add sliced onions to the pot with salt & pepper to taste, and brown.
- Stir in bouillon/broth. Add meat back to the pot and cover. Turn heat to simmer.
- After 30 minutes, stir and continue to cook until meat is well done, likely another 60-90 minutes. Remove meat from pot and slice.
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Drain, place in a bowl, and ladle in some of the onions.
- Serve the pot roast and noodles topped with onions.