Leek, Shallot, & Goat Cheese Puffs – 2022 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2022 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For Don’t Look Up, it’s Dough’d Leek Cup!
It’s the second appetizer for our swanky Mid-Century Dinner Party!
The whole premise of Don’t Look Up is one that does not feel so fictional. A select few scientists see that the world is going to be obliterated by a fast-approaching comet if the powers that be don’t jump into action. Can the comet stand in for the state of the climate change on our planet? Sure! Can the reactions stand in for the politicians on all sides of the aisle that won’t do the right thing for the greater good unless they can spin it to gain themselves some benefit? You betcha! Was it really entertaining with fabulous performances by the all-star cast? Oh yes it was! Adam McKay does it again! And although I love to see a movie in a movie theater, I’m so grateful for streaming services that stood in handily during the worst of the pandemic. Thanks, Netflix!
How do these puffs related to Don’t Look Up? Well… as you see in the movie, the information was LEAKED/LEEK’D to sources that PUFFed it up into something it wasn’t to SERVE their political purposes. Is that too CHEESY or too much of a stretch? Haaaaa! Come on… it’s a long work-around but it achieves the purpose! You know I wasn’t going to make an apple pie or some round comet-like literal interpretation! That’s for hacks! Haha!
No matter how I got here, when it comes to dinner parties or large events, I just adore a pass-around hors d’oeuvre. And nothing is more delightful than a little puff filled with amazing flavors.
Leeks are not a go-to item and should be! Shallots are making more appearances in dishes and are know for their less intense flavor. These aromatics get to be the stars of the dish! Yay them! Goat cheese is one of my favorites with it’s melt-away creaminess that has such a delicious flavor. The combo of these in puff pastry??? Seriously?? Add a little fresh thyme? Ohhhhh they are incredible!
Check out this movie, but make these puffs before you do. They are so satisfying. but there is one little problem. You WILL NOT WANT TO SHARE and that’s not very kind. If the movie teaches us anything, it’s that we have to come together for the greater good. And sharing these delight-bites is great for all!
Leek, Shallot, & Goat Cheese Puffs
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 2 large leeks trimmed & sliced
- 2 shallots peeled & sliced
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Roll out puff pastry on a floured surface about 2” on each side and cut each sheet into 12 equal pieces. Place each piece into the cups of a 24-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add leeks, thyme, salt & pepper, stirring to prevent browning. After about 3-4 minutes, add shallots. Cook until leeks shrink to about half their size and shallots are translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Evenly distribute the leek mixture into the puff pastry cups, about 1 tsp each. Add a little chunk of goat cheese and fold the dough in. Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter and brush over the tops of the puffs. Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.