Fig & Walnut Rugelach – 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
Another of the desserts for the 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar® is here!
Hidden Figures was so riveting, not only because it was great story-telling but because it is based on a compelling true story. Creating this dessert in honor of such an inspirational movie was fairly easy. I knew it had to include figs and I wanted to “hide” them somehow. I wanted to honor the space program too. Rugelach! Rolling fig butter and walnuts into a light & buttery pastry dough in the shape of a rocket ship instead of the traditional crescent shape was exactly the right thing!
• 1 cup butter, room temperature
• 2 cups flour
• 1 large egg, separated
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 3 cups fig butter or jam
• 1 cup walnuts, chopped finely
1) Mix butter, flour, egg yolk and sour cream in a bowl. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 2 hours or until firm.
2) Cut dough into 3 equal parts. On a floured surface, roll each out to about a 1/8” thick circle. Spread fig butter over the dough and sprinkle with walnuts. Cut the dough into 12-14 even pieces. Starting from the widest end, roll each. I rolled them into a “rocket ship” shape by rolling along the straight edge but they can be rolled straight and bent into crescents. Brush the top with egg white and place on parchment covered baking sheet.
3) Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool and serve.
The dough may need time to set in the fridge, but don’t let that deter you – it’s the greatest! Create your own version with your favorite jam or fruit butter. Use whatever nut you want! My mom’s been making these my whole life only she fills them with cinnamon, sugar, and walnuts, which is my favorite.
You can’t go wrong! These “Hidden Figelach” are really OUT OF THIS WORLD!