Cinnamon Sugar Cake Donuts with Chocolate Mocha Sauce – 2018 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
Ahhhhh…. Dunkirk. It’s an incredible movie only more riveting when you realize that it’s based on actual events! The heroism of ordinary people never ceases to amaze me.
When we see the beach, we think of it as easy days… fun days… not war and dire situations. I wanted to turn that around and use my favorite “sand”… cinnamon and sugar! The comfort of toast and butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar is always appealing – with a cup of tea!
I took this opportunity to incorporate my favorite thing into my Oscar menu. My thinking for this dish was fairly “corniness”. First thing… the name was perfect DUNK-IRK… DUNK-CAKE! Secondly… all those hidden submarines trying to DUNK those soldiers. Thirdly the “sand”. Lastly, they were looking for a “lifesaver” which can be a round floating tube… sorta like the shape of… you guessed it! A donut!
I’m so pleased with this recipe. I fuddled through a couple of other variations trying to get the right crumb to complement the sandy exterior. And having a coffee and chocolate dunking sauce… oh decadence… yes!
We’ve got one more dessert… let’s get to it!
Cinnamon Sugar Cake Donuts with Chocolate Mocha Sauce
- • 1-1/2 cups flour
- • 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- • 1/4 tsp salt
- • 1 cup butter divided
- • 1-1/4 cup sugar divided
- • 2 large eggs
- • 1 tsp vanilla
- • 1 cup milk
- • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- • 2 cups sugar
- • 1 cup coffee
- • 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- • pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla. Mix in half the dry ingredients and half the milk. Mix in remaining dry ingredients and milk until well combined. Distribute evenly into a donut pan (if you don’t have one, see below).
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from pan and cool.
- Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon in a bowl wide enough to fit a donut. Melt remaining butter. Brush each donut with butter then coat in cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Add sugar, coffee, cocoa, and salt to a saucepan. Whisk until smooth, then bring to a boil. Let boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve the donuts with a side of chocolate mocha sauce. Dunk away!