Star-Spangled Old Glory Pie – Cherry, Apple, & Blueberry Pie
Happy 240th Birthday to the USA! It’s almost Independence Day which means lots of barbecues, picnics, and outdoor fun! I’ve got the best dessert to honor our grand nation – a star-spangled Old Glory Pie!
Whenever I’ve seen a flag pie, the white stripe is represented by pie dough and that is not a balanced representation! All stripes should be fruit! And what is more American than apple pie? (Well actually everything – apple pie is not native to the United States – ha!)
• 1 lb cherries, washed, pitted, & chopped
• 3 apples, cored, peeled, & chopped
• 1 pint blueberries, washed
• 3/4 cup sugar, divided
• 3 tbsp flour, divided
• 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
• 1 2-pack refrigerated pie crust
1) Prepare fruit in separate bowls and add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp flour, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon to each. Mix well.
2) Roll out one crust to fit rectangle 10” x 7” baking dish and place in dish.
3) Using aluminum foil, create flag template.
4) Add blueberries to fill top right square. Add cherries to one row, apples to the next, and alternate until each row is filled. Remove foil strips.
5) Roll out remaining dough and cut out stars. Make them whatever size you like. Place on the pie.
6) Bake at 375° for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove and cool.
The best part about this pie is the choices! If you feel like cherry pie, just cut a piece from that stripe. Feel like a little apple pie? Enjoy a piece from an apple stripe. Of course if blueberry is your thing, this pie is for you too! It’s sooooo good!
Top it with ice cream or whipped cream! Have a FABULOUS Fourth of July!!!