7-Layer Chiffon Cake with Blood Orange Buttercream – 2021 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2021 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For The Trial of the Chicago 7, it’s The Trial of the Chiffon 7!
It’s a Spring Garden Party kind of year! Our menu theme this year is perfect for these late April Academy Awards. As I continue the “set it and forget it” table, I turn it around with this incredible cake! This is a set it and celebrate it dessert!
Let’s start with Aaron Sorkin. Everything he touches is gold. The man is a genius. Now look at this cast. Sasha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Frank freakin’-Langella, and so many more! Come on!
The times, they were a-changing alright. The 1968 Democratic National Convention is the target of the Yippies and their movement. But a riot erupted and there we have the Chicago 7, the alleged leaders of the band. On trial for conspiring to cross state lines and start a riot, conspiracy, and more, this adaption of a true story is a riveting watch.
Yeah, I watched this one three times too! Not because there wasn’t other things to watch in this year of lots of time to watch lots of things, but because I really enjoyed it. Many layers to this story. The relationships between the men on trial… with their lawyer… Bobby Seale’s disturbing involvement… the movement… the people in the streets… the government… the judge! Lotsa layers.
And that’s how I decided to make a 7 layer cake! Many layers, the Chicago SEVEN… duh! I have to admit, the Chiffon element just sounded good with the title and it would pose a challenge… there are many 7 layer cakes and many chiffon cakes, but NOWHERE could I find a 7 layer chiffon cake! Woo hoo!
The frosting was born as I was eating a delicious blood orange. And then there’s that line towards the end of the movie about what Tom Hayden said… something about blood running in the streets… well that’s good enough for me! Blood orange buttercream it is! The edible flowers just finish it beautifully. It was the 1960’s, I had to add the “flower power”!
I am so PROUD of this cake. It’s light and delicious with frosting that has flavor for days. This is a must-make!
7-Layer Chiffon Cake with Blood Orange Buttercream
- 2 - 9" Cake Pans (or more)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Cooling Racks
- 2-1/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 7 eggs, large, yolks
- 8 eggs, large, whites
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 5-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 blood oranges, juiced and zested (1/2 cup juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- edible flowers (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and 1-1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks, oil, milk, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and combine until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add remaining sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently mix about 1/3 egg white mixture into cake batter. Fold in remaining egg white mixture, keeping it airy.
- Grease, flour, and add a parchment layer to cake pans. Add a heaping 3/4 cup of batter to each pan, spreading evenly. Don't forget the edges.
- Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes, or until slightly golden. Cool on racks, clean pans, and repeat until you have 7 layers.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually add powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add blood orange juice, zest, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
Building the Cake:
- Add one cake layer to a cake plate, then add frosting, and so on until you get to the top layer. Liberally frost the top and sides. Add flowers as you like and serve.
JBrewerATLApril 22, 2021 at 2:56p
AnnetteApril 22, 2021 at 2:56p
Thanks! I am the most proud of this cake. I had the idea and saw it in my head… and it manifested deliciously! Woo hoo!
JBrewerATLApril 23, 2021 at 2:56p
I’ll have to get motivated and try it!!
Comments are closed.