Welsh Rarebit – 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For JoJo Rabbit, it’s JoJo Rarebit!
For this year, I’ve brought back my original video collaborator, Joe Becwar! It’s always a lot of fun to work with Joe! He always makes the right suggestions to elevate what was already darn good! Haha!
I loved this movie. The previews didn’t give away how truly remarkable and genius it is. The concept is incredible and the performances are wonderful. This is my favorite of all the Best Picture nominations.
The imaginary Hitler as a buffoon was quite satisfying and inspired this dish. The history of Welsh Rarebit lies in mockery. The story that makes the most sense is that the Welsh were not allowed to hunt on the lands of nobility so they were left with “Welsh rabbit”… cheese on toast… imaginary rabbit! The word was mottled to “rarebit” and the savory cheese sauce on toast became a beloved dish.
I’ve created it for you in the traditional style, but you can also “fondue it” and dip that bread in, baby! I think I prefer it that way!! Yum!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Guinness or dark stout/ale, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices rye bread, lightly toasted
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour, cooking for about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in mustard powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Pour in stout and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until thickened.
- Lower heat and add cheese, whisking constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spread cheese sauce evenly on toast and heat under broiler until the edges are browned and the center is bubbly. Serve immediately.