Spaghetti Squash with Chickpeas & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
When you’re trying to be calorie and health conscious but you want something flavorful and substantial like spaghetti, what’s a girl to do?
Opt for spaghetti squash! It’s the perfect choice to quell the pasta pangs and have a really good dish.
For those unfamiliar with spaghetti squash, you are missing OUT! I remember it was… gosh… 1997 when I first learned of it. I was in Vermont with friends and we didn’t want to head out to dinner nor did we want to “cook” cook. Somebody brought home a spaghetti squash – it was a revolutionary moment!
Since then, I’ve made it so many different ways. It is VERSATILE! And inexpensive. And kids think it’s FUN so they will eat it (just don’t push that it’s squash – call it magic pasta – haha).
This recipe is bright, fresh, and has a touch of heat to wake up and inspire your palate.
• 1/2 spaghetti squash, seeds out
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1/2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
• red pepper chili flakes (optional)
• 1/2 cup chickpeas
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1) Place spaghetti squash face down in a dish with about 1” water. Microwave for 12-15 minutes. Using a fork, strip the squash flesh out and place in a bowl. Set aside.
2) Put olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic cloves and lightly brown. Season with salt & pepper. Add sun-dried tomatoes and squash then combine. Cook for 3 minutes.
3) Mix in red pepper chili flakes and the chickpeas. Cook for 2 minutes.
4) Sitr in parsley for 1 minute then serve.
Not only can you serve this as a main course/pasta alternative, you can serve it with grilled chicken or pork chops. This dish boasts rich, flavorful ingredients that make it taste so decadent – but it’s not! It’s having your pasta without the pasta. Yes!